OSM Programs (2020-2021 Season)
2020-2021 Season: This season’s format was “Virtual OSM” with seven online programs.
OSM’s Music Director Roger Kalia led each of the on-line programs on OSM’s Facebook page and audience members were able to watch the programs for free. Having a Facebook account was not required for viewing, although people needed a Facebook account to participate in the online chats with Kalia, interview guests, and other audience members. Each program ranged from approximately 40-50 minutes in length.
For Trivia Night, audience players accessed a Survey Monkey score record where they could answer the multiple choice questions announced by Kalia, including ‘Drop the Needle’ (aka ‘Name that tune’) challenges. At the end of the evening, the winner was announced and they later received an OSM thermal bottle as their prize. For the Watch Party, a pre-concert introduction was provided by Kalia followed by a video of the featured work with running commentary, interesting insights into the composition, composer, and performance, plus audience comments, and Q&A exchanges. A follow-on from last season, watch parties were a wonderful way to enjoy music together and stay connected with others. During the lecture on conducting, Kalia presented various topics such as score study, interpretation, and expressive gesture. Video clips of various conductors were then shown and discussed. The interviews present local leading community leaders, OSM musicians (who also performed short pieces), and partners involved in OSM’s upcoming Art of Recovery project.
Oct 11, 2020: Classical Music Trivia Night
- Dec 21, 2020: Classical Music Watch Party (Beethoven’s 9th Symphony and Holiday Music)
- Jan 24, 2021: Interview with OSM Principal Clarinet, Gary Bovyer
- Feb 18, 2021: Interview with SM Councilman Kevin McKeown & Cultural Affairs’ Nathan Birnbaum
- Mar 30, 2021: Language of Conducting Lecture
- Apr 28, 2021: Interview with OSM Musicians, Catherine Baker, Lisa Kohorn, Larry Kohorn
- Jun 16, 2021: Interview with Art of Recovery Project Partners on film project “Black Life in Santa Monica”